A Ranking of the Top 100
Impact Companies Around t
NEW!! APPLICATIONS EXPANDED GLOBALLY
What is The RealLeaders 100?
There’s the Inc. 5000 and the Forbes 500. Now, the RealLeaders 100 is the first ranking of positive impact companies across the globe. The RealLeaders 100 ranks the top companies leveraging the engine of capitalism for greater profit and greater good. These companies are driving a dynamic segment of the economy, bearing a new vision of capitalism, demonstrating that every transaction represents an opportunity for profit and prosperity to manifest.
Who’s Behind The RealLeaders 100?
Real Leaders, Big Path Capital and B Lab have partnered to launch the RealLeaders 100. Real Leaders magazine has been in circulation since 2010 and is the world’s first sustainable business & leadership publication. It aims to inspire better leaders for a better world. Big Path Capital has been called “Impact Investing’s investment bank” and works with the top sustainable and impact companies and funds. B Lab is a nonprofit that serves a global movement of People Using Business as a Force for Good. Its vision is that one day all companies compete not only to be the best in the world, but the Best for the World and as a result society will enjoy a more shared and durable prosperity.
- Recognition. Be recognized as one of the most dynamic, impactful companies in the world.
- Attract Talent. The best talent is seeking jobs that have a positive impact – where they can make a difference.
- Networking. Be part of a group of dynamic CEOs, using business as a force for good.
- It’s easy. Applying takes only 5 minutes. Just include the positive impact your firm is making and your revenues.
Qualification for the RealLeaders100 2020 ranking requires the following:
- New! 2020 applications open to companies worldwide.
- The Company must be privately-owned and independent (not a subsidiary or division of another company).
- The Company must show revenues of at least $100,000 in 2015.
- The Company must show revenues of at least $1 million in 2018.
- The Company must provide evidence of
positiveimpact for committee review.
Steps to Apply
- Meet eligibility requirements.
- Apply here. This requires 5 minutes.
- Watch your inbox. Ranking notifications will made in early December 2019.
- Get your Real Leaders issue on newsstands starting January, 2020, with the rankings and profiles of the honoree CEOs.
- Attend the Momentum Summit in April 2020 in Asheville, North Carolina, convening over 200 positive impact, high growth CEOs. Celebrate at the Momentum Gala with RL100 honorees.
NOVEMBER 1, 2019: Application Deadline.
DECEMBER 1, 2019: RealLeaders100 companies notified.
JANUARY 2020: The RealLeaders100 is published on Real Leaders website/ set for publication in Q1 2020 issue.
APRIL 2020: Celebration of RealLeaders100 at the Momentum Summit in Asheville, North Carolina, convening 220 positive impact CEOs. An event not to be missed!
WHAT IS THE REALLEADERS 100?
The RealLeaders 100 is the first ranking of the top positive impact companies in North America. There is the Inc. 5000 ranking. There is the Forbes 500. But there is no ranking of the top positive impact companies. Now, the RealLeaders 100 will compromise the top 100 companies that are leveraging the engine of capitalism for greater profit and greater good.
HOW ARE COMPANIES RANKED?
Companies will be ranked based on what we are calling their “Mo Score”. Mo stands for Momentum which equals velocity x mass. The Mo Score is the product of 3-year sales growth % x 2017 revenues x the B Impact Assessment score. Think of this as a company’s momentum for good or even their force for good.
Example: A company had $1 mm in sales in 2014 and $4 mm in sales in 2017 and had a score of 85 on the BIA. The Mo Score would be ($4-$1)/$1 * $4 * 85) = 1020.
WHY SHOULD I APPLY?
- It’s easy. If you’re a B Corp or have taken the B Impact Assessment, applying takes only 5 minutes. If neither applies, don’t worry. You’ll be able to take assessment as part of your RealLeaders 100 application.
- Recognition. Be nationally recognized as one of the most dynamic, impactful companies in the country.
- Attract Talent. The best talent is seeking jobs that have a positive impact where they can make a difference.
- Networking. Be part of a group of dynamic CEOs using business as a force for good.
HOW DID THE RANKING COME ABOUT?
A few impact capitalists, including Big Path Capital, Real Leaders and B Lab, got together to help put a spotlight on a dynamic new segment of our economy. These companies bear a new vision of capitalism, challenging the claim of profit and nothing more. They voice a conviction that the engine of capitalism has been squandered, demonstrating that every transaction represents an opportunity for both profit and prosperity to manifest.
WHAT IS THE B IMPACT ASSESSMENT? WHERE CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION?
WHAT IS INVOLVED IN APPLYING?
Fill out the initial questionnaire. Provide evidence of positive impact for committee approval.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO APPLY?
A $75 application fee applies. You will not be charged if you take the BIA and do not score 60 or above.
WILL MY INFORMATION BE SECURE?
We do not share financial information.
WHAT ARE THE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA?
View eligibility requirements above.
HOW IS REVENUE DEFINED FOR THE RANKING?
We define revenue as gross revenue, less returns and allowances, before any cost of goods sold are deducted. This is the same number that is called for in Box 1c of a corporate income tax return.
DOES MY COMPANY HAVE TO BE PROFITABLE TO BE ELIGIBLE?
No, your company does not have to have positive net income or EBITDA to be eligible.
IS MY COMPANY ELIGIBLE IF IT'S MAJORITY OR WHOLLY OWNED BY A VENTURE CAPITAL OR PRIVATE EQUITY FIRM?
Yes, it’s eligible.
WHAT IF MY COMPANY IS PUBLIC?
You don’t qualify, but there are some exceptions. If you have any questions, please contact: email@example.com.
WHAT IF MY COMPANY IS PRIVATE AND INDEPENDENT BUT ABOUT TO GO PUBLIC?
As long as your business was privately held and independent as of December 31, 2018, it’s eligible.
IMPACT & REVENUE VALIDATION
WHAT IS REVENUE VALIDATION?
For the ranking to be credible, we carefully verify the top 100 companies for their 2015 and 2018 revenue numbers that are provided.
HOW WILL MY IMPACT BE MEASURED?
Companies’ social and environmental impact will be measured using the B Impact Assessment. Companies selected to the final RealLeaders 100 list will be asked to complete the impact verification process, which will including working with B Lab to review your company’s responses on the B Impact Assessment. If your company is a Certified B Corp or have received a GIIRS Impact Rating since 2017, you will not need to take any additional impact verification steps.
HOW DOES THE REVENUE VALIDATION PROCESS WORK?
If you are identified as one of the top 100 impact companies, we will send you detailed information on the Revenue Validation process.
In the process, you may choose one of the following three kinds of revenue verification to submit to our verification team:
Submit the Revenue Validation Form. This is the easiest way to submit your revenue validation. You may download an example here. You are not required to submit this form in the application process. It’s required only after you’ve been identified as one of the potential companies in the ranking. The form requires a certified public accountant, chartered financial analyst, certified management accountant, or attorney to sign the form attesting to the complete accuracy of the information. The certifier may work at the your company or be independent, as long as the certifier is a licensed professional with credentials that are current and in good standing. Please make sure you print clearly!
Corporate Tax Return. Include the first page and the page that indicates that accrual accounting was used to prepare the return.
Audit. Include the accounting opinion letter and income statement from financial statements that have been audited, reviewed or compiled by an independent accounting firm.