As protests continue around the world, we must call for action. The chaotic images of cities around the world may have you feeling helpless, but there are many ways you can support ending police violence, help the cause of racial justice, and support the broader Black Lives Matter movement. We’ve gathered a list of ways to help and educate yourself below:
Charities and Funds
- Action Bail Fund, organized by Black Lives Matter LA, is supported by White People 4 Black Lives. 100% of donations go directly to support bail, fees, and medical costs associated with actions. Donate here.
- Black Visions Collective is “a Black-led, Queer and Trans centering organization whose mission is to organize powerful, connected Black communities and dismantle systems of violence…through building strategic campaigns, investing in Black leadership, and engaging in cultural and narrative organizing.” Donate via the organization’s website here.
- The Brooklyn Bail Fund is “committed to challenging the racism, inequality, and injustice of a criminal legal system and immigration and deportation regime that disproportionately target and harm low-income communities of color.” Donate here.
- The National Bail Out is “a Black-led and Black-centered collective of abolitionist organizers, lawyers and activists building a community-based movement to support our folks and end systems of pretrial detention and ultimately mass incarceration.” Donate here.
- Unicorn Riot is a non-profit media organization dedicated to fair, on-the-ground reporting on civil disobedience, police brutality and white supremacy. Donate here. Donate here.
- National Police Accountability Project: This group, a project of the National Lawyers Guild, helps people find legal counsel and to effect change in the flawed legal system. More info here.
- Campaign Zero, a police reform group that has been working on policy solutions “informed by data and human rights principles.” More info here.
- Color of Change launched a petition asking that all the officers involved in Floyd’s death are brought to justice. Sign here.
- “Justice for George Floyd” petition on Change.org already has 8.5 million supporters. Sign here.
- NAACP Legal Defense Fund: Donate today to help advance the cause of racial justice, equality, and an inclusive society. More info here.
Articles, Resources and Tools
- Anti-racism resources for white people (by Sarah Sophie Flicker and Alyssa Klein)
- Twitter Thread: What To Do If You Can’t Donate Right Now (via @traderjosephina)
- 100 black creatives inspiring change (via The Dots)
- 75 things white people can do for racial injustice (via Medium)
- Ways to help (via Black Lives Matter)
- IG: 10 steps to non-optical allyship (via Mireille Harper)
- IG: Transform Allyship into Action: A Toolkit for Non-Black People (via Social Justice in Medicine Coalition at USC)
- Twitter Thread: Advice for companies from Sheree Atcheson, Monzo’s Head of Diversity and Inclusion (Via Sheree Atcheson)
- How to protest safely during a pandemic (via VICE)
- Talking About Race (via Smithsonian)
- Confronting Prejudice: How to Protect Yourself and Help Others: Pepperdine University