The United Nations Global Compact has recognized 10 SDG Pioneers – individuals from around the world who are championing sustainability through their own companies and mobilizing the broader business community to take action in pursuit of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals(SDGs).
Six SDG Pioneers were recognized on stage during the UN Global Compact Leaders Summit at the New York Hilton Midtown. The United Nations Global Compact is a call to companies everywhere to align their operations and strategies with ten universally accepted principles in the areas of human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption, and to take action in support of UN goals and issues embodied in the Sustainable Development Goals. The UN Global Compact is a leadership platform for the development, implementation and disclosure of responsible corporate practices. Launched in 2000, it is the largest corporate sustainability initiative in the world, with more than 9,500 companies and 3,000 non-business signatories based in over 160 countries, and more than 70 Local Networks
The UN Global Compact received hundreds of nominations for the 2017 SDG Pioneers submissions, from which 10 finalists were selected by a Pioneers Selection Group, comprised of experts from the UN, academia, civil society and the private sector.
- Charles Immanuel Akhimien, Co-founder, MOBicure Integrated Solutions (Nigeria)
- Gustavo Perez Berlanga, CSR Senior VP, Restaurante Toks SA de CV (Mexico)
- Tania Conte Cosentino, President, Schneider Electric Brasil Ltda (Brazil)
- Teresa Jennings, Head of Rule of Law Development, LexisNexis/RELX Group Plc (U.S.A.)
- Sonia Bashir Kabir, Managing Director, Microsoft (Bangladesh)
- Arthur Kay, Founder and Chairman, bio-bean (United Kingdom)
- Patrick Pouyanné, CEO, Total (France)
- Kaan Terzioglu, CEO, Turkcell Iletisim Hizmetleri A.S. (Turkey)
- Joseph Thompson, Co-founder and CEO, AID:Tech (United Kingdom)
- Jaime Augusto Zobel de Ayala, Chairman and CEO, Ayala Corporation (Philippines)
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) lay out a clear vision for a sustainable future and will shape a new era for business. As part of our Making Global Goals Local Business campaign, each year the UN Global Compact celebrates a group of SDG Pioneers — business leaders who are doing an exceptional job to advance the Global Goals through a principles-based approach.